Sunday 1 July 2012

Birds in the Garden

It could be that I enjoy gardening so much because I enjoy the birds: both seeing them and hearing them while I am in my garden. When I had just grass and a few rhododendrons in the beginnings of my garden, I had to attract hummingbirds by using a feeder. My neighbors, with the established

Bullock's Oriole

yards, always had the birds. I didnt. Now that I have so many different plants, the hummingbirds are always around. I have watched them argue with each other over flowers, and buzz me when I am too close to their preferred flower of the day. Im sure they are nesting in the yard; I just cant find the any nests.

When I moved in the house, I planted a 100 row of Red Hot Pokers (Kniphofia). They have filled into a hedge and, when in bloom, attract the Bullocks Oriole, Western Tanager, and Cedar Waxwings.

Western Tanager

Cedar Waxwing

I never have these birds in my yard the rest of the year. They come to feed on the nectar of the Red Hot Poker plants. When the Kniphofia go to seed, the House Finches are all over the flower stalks taking off the seeds.

This year, the birdhouses in the garden are homes to families of Black Capped Chickadees, Western Bluebirds, and Tree Swallows. The chickadees house is right near a path I walk frequently, and they

loudly tell me when I am too close! The bluebird house is further from my house, but they have to come close to take a drink from my birdbath.

Western Bluebird

I was cleaning out the older daffodil foliage the other day and found a Junco nest luckily it was empty. I have been seeing many Juncos in my garden; maybe they came from that nest.

One of my favorite birds is the Killdeer. They nest in an old arena and on my driveway. I found a nest, VERY difficult to do, about 6 away from my wheelbarrow path to the compost pile. After the mother Killdeer had laid four eggs, she became upset when I was too close. Instead of trying to move me away from the nest, she just stood up! Usually they do a great broken wing act to lure you away from their nest. This bird just stood up and stayed put.

Later, because I knew where the nest was, I was able to see the babies the day they hatched, still in their nest. What a thrill!

After years of feeding the birds and planting a garden, I believe the best way to get the birds into the garden is to plant for them. It has definitely worked for me!

Tags: birds in the garden, bullock's oriole, chickadee, house finch, kniphofia, western bluebird, western tanager


Via: Birds in the Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment