Monday 16 July 2012

Editing the Garden

Customers frequently tell me, Im finally done planting. Being a gardenaholic, I find this an interesting statement. Gardens constantly need editing. What do I mean by editing? Here are some examples:

While walking through my garden, I noticed there was a lot of green. It is very peaceful and beautiful, but there was no color. Looking carefully I found areas where I could tuck in some lupines for color or place a large pot of annuals which I can change out during the seasons.

The small shrubs and trees I planted 10-15 years ago have gotten so big that the plants under them are struggling. It was a sun area when the garden was put together, now its a shady garden. I will move the grasses and rose plant out from under the tree and back into a sunny spot. Now Invincibell Spirit Hydrangea can be put in their place.

I have some perennials that have grown too big and need to be divided. I will do this in the fall, but I am taking notes now so I remember which plants need help.

Since I am a plantaholic (as well as a gardenaholic I can give definitions another time), I am constantly bringing home new plants. I need to edit the garden to find room for the plants. I mentioned Gunnera in a previous blog post. That plant will be put into the garden this fall.

I wont need to move any plants for a few years, but since the gunnera is a big plant, I will need to move plants to make space for it as it grows.

The final reason I have been editing my garden is age. Not of the plantings, but of the gardener. As I get older (Im really not that old), I find that I prefer to do less maintenance. I have been making room to put more shrubs in the garden that take less maintenance than perennials.

So to me, a garden is never done. Even when I think I am done planting for the year, something always comes up and I edit some more.

Tags: editing, gardening


Via: Editing the Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment