Tuesday 17 July 2012

Disaster in the Garden! (aka: Careless Use of Chemicals in the Garden)

People who are following this blog will know that I am trying to grow a successful vegetable garden. The last few years have been very unsuccessful for me. The first year the chickens got into the garden; the second year the garden got rained out. Well, this year the deer got in (after my husband built an 8 foot deer fence) and ate the entire garden!

After the deer ransacked my garden, I was out in the garden weeding and putting tomato cages around the plants so that if the deer got in again, at least they wouldnt be able to get to the tomatoes. When I was done weeding around the tomatoes, I sprayed Roundup on the weeds that were still left. I sprayed carefully around each tomato plant. I know how to spray Roundup as I have used it for years. Winds need to be calm and plants need to be protected from direct spray and drift from the spray. Also, the temperature needs to be below about 80 degrees. All of these conditions were met or so I thought.

About three days later I looked at my tomato plants that were trying to grow back from the deer eating them and EVERY plant had been hit by the Roundup! I pinched off the twisted growth and hoped the plants would out grow the chemical. But I dont have much hope for my tomato crop this year.

The moral of this story: Be very careful when using chemicals, both organic and non-organic. Read and follow the directions very, very carefully.

Tags: chemicals, deer, improper use, Roundup, tomato


Via: Disaster in the Garden! (aka: Careless Use of Chemicals in the Garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment